Mendel90 3D Printer
- Owner/Loaner: ENTS
- Make/Model: Mendel90
- Usability: WORKING
- Contact: User:Hov User:KHawkings
- Where: Main Workroom
- Certification Needed: YES
- Hackable: NO
- Estimated Value: $600
Instruction currently only available by attending the course. Only users who have passed the course and demonstrated competency can use this machine unsupervised.
See section "Who Can Certify You".
Currently working with small issues. Interface is at http://members.ents.ca:5000
Who Can Certify You?
200mm by 200mm by 200mm build volume. The X and Y are actually a little less than that but the Z is actually about 208mm.
As long as the Slic3r settings match with the filament size temps the only other setting for the printer itself is the nozzle diameter. Current hot end is 0.4mm
When connecting to OctoPrint if the printer (the arduino) isn't connected to the RasPi then use:
- Port: AUTO
- Baudrate: 115200
- Print not sticking to bed
- Any Material
- PLA or PLA/PHA (ColorFabb)
- Any Material
- Printing won't start from Octoprint
- Octoprint, for various reasons, disconnects from the Arduino. Manually homing the Z axis is an example of a command that will disconnect the Arduino - not sure why yet. Can be fixed by reconnecting from Octoprint.
The firmware has been modified to make extruder 1 (of extruders 0 and 1) behave like extruder 0. There was a magic smoke event that cooked the current limiting resistor for the extruder 0 heater.
What Could it Use?
- User:KHawkings will be working on a Bowden Tube based extruder to move the stepper and cold end off the X-Carriage
- A mounting system/brackets/case for the LCD screen
- A Cover/Case/Fan Mount for the electronics
- The X carriage is noisy. It's probably because the linear rods are slightly smaller than the bearings. 8mm rods should be swapped in.
- Mounting system/brackets for the RasPi and USB Hub
- Carrying Handle
- Replacement of the resistor for extruder 0 (I think it's a 0805 smd but no idea on the resistance).
If you're willing to tackle any of these please let someone know.
Working on it
- User:KHawkings - Bowden Tube extruder
Occasionally the filament stops being extruded. In order of frequency it's probably:
- The filament has been "stripped" on the hobbed bolt. Take the panel on the right off the extruder, remove the big gear and hobbed bolt and clean them. There was probably an issue with the filament feeding that caused this.
- The small gear has moved/shifted/started to slip on the stepper motor shaft.
- The connector to the stepper motor is loose. Reseat it.
- Add more feedback/failsafe controls.
- Additional limit switches w/ failsafe wiring.
- Extra temperature sensors
- Rotary encoder or other measuring tool for filament
- Reporting code to feed back on alarms, such as limit switch failure.
Useful Software / Websites
FreeCAD - A CAD program that can produce STLs and interchange many CAD formats (even some support for OpenSCAD)
Slic3r - A slicing tool preferred for use with the ENTS Mendel90 (config file below).
NetFabb STL Repair - A tool for repairing broken STL files.
Thingiverse - A place to find things to print. Don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to (or unless you want to)!
- File:Mendel90.zip Slic3r configuration file
- File:Mendel90STL.zip STL's for all the printed parts. Includes a modified bar clamp for a different end stop. This file should be modified slightly by Kyle (he has the modeling source). If there is a filename with "fixed" in its title then use it since it was repaired with NetFabb.
- File:Mendel90-Bowden-Cold.zip Latest Mendel90 bowden "cold end" source files.